Rods&Cones Terms and Conditions
Unless otherwise agreed between the Parties, these Rods&Cones Terms and Conditions apply to the licensing of the software (including any demo versions of Rods&Cones software) and all services provided by Rods&Cones bv to the Customer, in particular with respect to the Rods&Cones software. Together with the Cover Document and Annexes, these Terms and Conditions shall constitute the entire agreement between the Parties.
[last update: 15/06/2020]
In this Agreement, the following definitions will apply unless inconsistent with the context or otherwise specified.
- “Additional Services” means services delivered by Rods&Cones bv that are not within the scope of the Setup Services, Configuration Services, Hosting Services, or Helpdesk Services, but may be delivered by Rods&Cones bv at the request of the Customer, as described in clause 3.6;
- “Affiliate” of a Party means in relation to a Party (i) any entity under the control of such Party, and (ii) any entity controlling such Party; and (iii) any other entity under the Control of a Controlling entity under (ii);
- “Agreement” means, collectively, these Terms and Conditions, the Cover Document, and all Annexes;
- “Annex” means any section of the Agreement entitled “Annex”;
- “Branding Material” means all materials (like backgrounds, launch screen, home screen icon) that are used by the Customer, or that are supplied to Rods&Cones bv, in order to adapt the default look-and-feel of a Rods&Cones app to the branding of the Customer;
- “Manager app” means the Customer’s central panel to manage the Rods&Cones Instance;
- “Confidential Information” shall have the meaning as set forth in clause 9.1;
- “Configurations” means the configuration, parameterization, and other activities in respect of Rods&Cones that differentiate one Rods&Cones Instance from another Rods&Cones Instance. Configurations may include the integration of Rods&Cones with CRM systems or user management systems. Configurations can be implemented either by Rods&Cones bv or (where applicable) the Customer or the VAS Partner. Unless otherwise agreed, any Configurations required by the Customer and performed by Rods&Cones bv shall be charged as Additional Services;
- “Configuration Services” means the services provided by Rods&Cones bv to apply and implement the Configurations requested by the Customer, as described in clause 3.2;
- “Control” (and derivatives of this term) means with regard to an entity, the power to direct or cause the direction of the management and policies of an individual or entity, whether through the ownership of voting securities, by contract or otherwise;
- “Cover Document” means the first section of this Agreement entitled “Cover Document”;
- “Customer” means the party so identified in the “Customer Details” section of the Cover Document;
- “Data Protection Legislation” means General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA), and any national implementations that apply to the Parties’ processing of personal data;
- “Rods&Cones Solution” means Rods&Cones bv’s proprietary remote assistance solution. Rods&Cones Solution contains a hardware and software component.
- “Rods&Cones Instance” means an instance of the Rods&Cones application that is set up, customized, and configured for the Customer in accordance with and within the limits of this Agreement, together with all Hosted Data;
- “Rods&Cones subscription” means the license accorded to the Customer for using Rods&Cones Solution, as described in clause 2;
- “Effective Date” means the date this Agreement is signed by both Parties (as evidenced by the dates of signature indicated in the Cover Document);
- “Error” means a substantial, verifiable, and reproducible non-conformity of the Rods&Cones Instance with the User Guide;
- “Error Correction” means either the provision of a workaround, the temporary correction of the Error, or the correction of the Error via delivery of a new version, without materially reducing the functionality of the affected Rods&Cones Instance;
- “Force Majeure” means any cause beyond a Party’s reasonable control, such as acts from authorities, war, fire, flood, explosion or civil commotion, telecom breakdowns (including “denial of service” attacks and similar unavailability of internet connections), strikes, failure of a third party, software bugs in third party software, industrial action, etc.;
- “Front-End Support” means the support provided to assist Users and/or Managers with the use of the Rods&Cones Instance. Front End Support will typically include answering basic questions and guiding users through the functionality of the software. The Cover Document specifies whether Front End Support Services shall be provided by Rods&Cones bv, Customer, or by a VAS Partner;
- “HCP” is a healthcare professional, for instance, a surgeon or nurse.
- “Helpdesk” means the point of contact that Rods&Cones bv makes available for answering questions regarding the use of the Rods&Cones Instance. The Helpdesk can also be used by the Customer for Error reporting and the follow-up of Error Corrections;
- “Helpdesk Services” means the services provided by Rods&Cones bv with respect to the Helpdesk, as described in clause 3.5;
- “Hosted Data” means any electronic data (including lists, images, accounts of Customers, accounts of Users, etc.) stored in a Rods&Cones Instance, after being uploaded by the Customer or a User;
- “Hosting Services” means the Services described in clause 3.3;
- “Subscription Fees” means the fees to be paid by the Customer for the use of the Rods&Cones Solution and the provision of Hosting and Helpdesk Services during one month. The amount of the Subscription Fees and their payment periodicity shall be set forth in the Cover Document;
- “Malicious Code” means viruses, worms, time bombs, Trojan horses and other harmful or malware, malicious code, files, scripts, agents, or programs;
- “Manager” means a staff member of the Customer, or any other person appointed by the Customer to manage the Customer’s Rods&Cones Instance;
- “Manager app”: is the software component that allows management of the Instance, amongst others, creating, editing, and deleting users and viewing analytics data.
- “Party” means either Rods&Cones bv or the Customer, while “Parties” means both Rods&Cones bv and the Customer;
- “Product Support” means support services with respect to the Rods&Cones Instance that is not handled by Front-end and Service Support (for example, due to the complexity involved). Product Support services shall always be provided by Rods&Cones bv;
- “Service Support” means support services with respect to the Rods&Cones Instance aimed to restore the service as soon as possible when the system is down;
- “Setup Fee” means the one-time fee to be paid by the Customer to Rods&Cones bv for the initial setup and configuration of the Rods&Cones Instance;
- “Setup Services” means the services that relate to the initial setup of the Rods&Cones instance: the creation of enterprise account in the Rods&Cones Manager app, uploading the initial user list;
- “Services” means the services provided by Rods&Cones bv to the Customer. The Services consist of Hosting Services, Configuration Services, Services, Helpdesk Services and/or Additional Services;
- “Software Development Tools” means any development tool (software in object code, as well as documentation in-soft copy and/or hard-copy) and/or any other value-adding tool provided by Rods&Cones bv in relation to Rods&Cones;
- “Source Code” means the human-readable form of software programs;
- “Standard Rates” means Rods&Cones bv’s standard pricing for all Additional Services delivered by it or other services to which the standard pricing applies. The Standard Rates that apply at the Effective Date are set forth in the Cover Document;
- “Term” means the term of this Agreement, as calculated from the Effective Date;
- “Terms and Conditions” means the present document, entitled “Terms and Conditions”;
- “Training Services” means the services provided by Rods&Cones bv for training the Managers and Users of Customers in using the Rods&Cones platform and its tools.
- “Unit” means a set of hardware, composed of the smart glass, the pocket unit, the hardware, and the peripherals.
- “User” means an end-user of Rods&Cones, who may under the supervision & authorization of the Customer use the Rods&Cones Instance;
- “User Guide” means the user’s guide for Rods&Cones, accessible through the online help function and the online Frequently Asked Questions, as updated from time to time;
- “VAS Partner” shall mean an independent company providing services related to Rods&Cones to the Customer. The Customer acknowledges that Rods&Cones bv does not exercise control over the VAS Partner, and is not a party to the contract between the Customer and the VAS Partner;
- “Working Day” means all days except Saturdays, Sundays, public holidays in Belgium. Working Days extend from 9:00 to 17:00 CET;
- Rods&Cones Subscription
2.1 Subject to the Customer’s compliance with this Agreement, Rods&Cones bv grants to the Customer a non-exclusive, worldwide, non-transferable right to use the Rods&Cones Instance as described in the User Guide, and to enable the Managers and Users to access and use the Rods&Cones Instance during the Term (“Rods&Cones License“).
2.2 The Rods&Cones License set out in this section 2 may be subject to additional restrictions (for example, with respect to the number of users), which will be set forth in the Cover Document.
2.3 The Customer shall not have the right to receive the Source Code of Rods&Cones Solution.
2.4 The Customer acknowledges that Rods&Cones Solution and all copyrights, trade secrets, and other rights, title and interest therein, are the sole property of and vest in Rods&Cones bv and that the Customer shall gain no right, title, or interest in Rods&Cones by virtue of this Agreement other than the non-exclusive right of use granted in this clause. 2. The Customer specifically acknowledges Rods&Cones bv’s exclusive right to ownership of any modification, translation, or adaptation of Rods&Cones and any other improvement or development based thereon, irrespective of whether it is developed on behalf of, supplied to, installed at, or paid for by the Customer.
2.5 Users shall be able to access and use the Rods&Cones Instance as described in the Cover Document.
- Services relating to Rods&Cones
3.1 Setup Services – Unless otherwise indicated in the Cover Document, and provided that the Customer in a timely manner delivers all requested information to Rods&Cones bv, Rods&Cones bv shall perform the initial setup of the Rods&Cones Instance.
3.2 Hosting Services – Unless if otherwise indicated in the Cover Document, Rods&Cones bv shall make the Rods&Cones Instance available to the Customer and the Users. The Hosting Services shall consist of storing the Hosted Data, serving Rods&Cones page requests and web service invocations, and maintaining and updating Rods&Cones.
3.3 Helpdesk Services – To the extent agreed in the Cover Document, Rods&Cones bv shall provide the Helpdesk Services, which can consist of Frond-end Support Services and/or Service Support Services and/or Product Support Services, as further described in the Cover Document.
3.4 Additional Services – Following the Customer’s request or following Rods&Cones bv’s observation that a particular service is not covered by this Agreement, Rods&Cones bv may provide the Customer with other, additional services which relate to Rods&Cones (“Additional Services“). The Customer expressly agrees that Rods&Cones bv is not obliged to deliver any Additional Services and that the delivery of the Additional Services is subject to prior written acceptance of both Parties, and may also be subject to other or additional terms and conditions than the terms and conditions of this Agreement. The Additional Services shall be charged separately on a time-and-material base, at the Standard Rates, unless otherwise agreed by the Parties. The services listed in clauses 3.1, 3.2, and 3.5 can also be provided by the VAS Partner. The provision of services by the VAS Partner will be subject to clause 12.3.
- Use of the Rods&Cones Instance
4.1 The Customer shall use the Rods&Cones Instance and shall ensure that its Managers and the Users use the Rods&Cones Instance in accordance with the terms, conditions, and limitations set forth in this Agreement and shall ensure that its Managers and Users shall not:
- license, sublicense, sell, resell, rent, lease, transfer, assign, distribute, time share or otherwise commercially exploit or make its Rods&Cones Instance available to any third party, unless explicitly allowed by this Agreement;
- send spam or otherwise duplicative or unsolicited messages in violation of applicable laws (such as the EU GDPR);
- interfere with any laws concerning data privacy and shall always obtain an effective consent statement from the affected patient in surgery, said consent shall cover the pertinent requirements and aspects of data protection.
- do anything that would compromise a patient’s safety; interfere with the physicians’ relationship with patients; direct an HCP or do anything that may be construed as practicing medicine, nursing, or any other medical activity for which medical certification is required; provide advice, information or consent related to products for a purpose outside the scope of any approved indications for use.
- be present during the surgery without having been provided training programs and being aware of all applicable governmental laws and regulations.
- deliberately send or store Malicious Code;
- interfere with or disrupt the integrity or performance of the Rods&Cones Instance, or the data contained therein
4.2 The Customer acknowledges and accepts that it is responsible for the actions and omissions performed by itself, its employees, its designees, its Managers, and the Users making use of the Rods&Cones Instance. The Customer shall ensure that said persons shall be informed of the relevant provisions of the Agreement and shall comply with the relevant provisions of the Agreement. The Customer shall inform Rods&Cones bv of any (suspected) non-compliance it becomes aware of.
4.3 The Customer warrants that the Rods&Cones Instance is used in accordance with all applicable local, state, federal, national, and international legislation and, in general, in a responsible manner, exclusively for admissible purposes and without breach of the rights of third parties. Without prejudice to clause 4.1, the Customer shall ensure that the Managers and the Users comply with the terms of this Agreement (e.g., by contractually imposing the relevant terms of this Agreement upon the Managers and the Users).
4.4 The Customer shall have sole responsibility for the accuracy, quality, integrity, legality, reliability, and appropriateness of all Hosted Data.
4.5 The Customer shall be responsible for determining which of its employees or designees will have access to the Manager app.
4.6 The Customer acknowledges, accepts, and warrants that (i) it acts as a professional, and not as a consumer; and (ii) all of the Users who use a Rods&Cones Instance, act like a professional, and not as a consumer.
4.7 The Customer warrants that the Manager shall be allowed and shall be competent to undertake the tasks and obligations assigned by this Agreement to the Managers.
4.8 The Customer shall prevent unauthorized access to, or use of, the Rods&Cones Instance (in particular through Manager accounts), and notify Rods&Cones bv promptly of any such unauthorized access or use.
4.9 The Customer shall protect the confidentiality of all its Rods&Cones usernames and passwords, and shall notify Rods&Cones bv promptly if any username or password is lost or would otherwise get exposed. The Customer shall be responsible and liable for all uses of its usernames and passwords whether or not any such use was authorized by the Customer.
4.10 Without prejudice to clause 11, the Customer warrants that the collection and processing of Hosted Data and the access to and use of the data available in the Manager app shall comply with all Data Protection Legislation.
4.11 In the event a Manager or a User does not comply with the terms and conditions of this Agreement or the terms and conditions made available on the Rods&Cones Instance, Rods&Cones bv shall be allowed to prohibit this Manager or User the access to and usage of the Rods&Cones Instance.
4.12 During the Term, the Customer shall have the right to use the logo and trade name of Rods&Cones and Rods&Cones bv to (i) indicate that Customer uses Rods&Cones; (ii) indicate that the Customer is a customer of Rods&Cones bv; or (iii) promote or provide information on Rods&Cones, subject to the conditions that the use of the logo or trade name (a) does not jeopardize the reputation, image, and goodwill of Rods&Cones bv, and (b) does not lead to any confusion about the fact that Rods&Cones is owned and operated by Rods&Cones bv; and (c) does not lead to any confusion about the fact that Rods&Cones bv and the Customer are two independent parties with a separate legal identity; and (d) complies with any additional usage requirements provided by Rods&Cones bv to the Customer.
4.13 In order to allow Rods&Cones bv to carry out its support obligations efficiently and effectively, the Customer shall organize a central point of contact within its organization, and staff this central point of contact with qualified personnel. The Customer shall report any Errors immediately on detection through the Helpdesk, in a well-documented way. At Rods&Cones bv’s request, the Customer shall render assistance, as reasonably requested for the diagnosis, the reproduction, and correction of the Error.
4.14 The Customer acknowledges that it is solely responsible for the choice, purchase, and operation of the hardware, software, and/or telecommunication services required to connect with the Rods&Cones Instance and use the Rods&Cones Instance. Such hardware, software, and/or telecommunication services need to meet the minimum requirements defined by Rods&Cones bv. The Customer is responsible for the installation and related costs of purchasing and/or licensing such hardware, software, and/or telecommunication services. Rods&Cones bv is not responsible for hardware, software, products, and services of third parties, such as telecommunication equipment, operating systems, and internet browsers.
4.15 The Customer hereby agrees to defend, indemnify and hold harmless Rods&Cones bv and its Affiliates against any and all damage, loss, costs, expenses, third party claims or demands (including claims of Users) arising out of the use by the Customer, its employees, its designees, Managers and/or the Users of the Rods&Cones Instance in a manner that does not correspond with this Agreement or, in general, all applicable laws, decrees and other legal instruments.
4.16 The Customer represents, warrants, and covenants that (1) It has and shall have the unrestricted right to disclose any information it submits to Rods&Cones, free of all claims of third parties; and (2) Such disclosures do not and shall not breach or conflict with any confidentiality provisions of any agreement to which the Customer or the Personnel are a party
5.1 Rods&Cones bv warrants that:
- it will perform the Services in a good and workmanlike manner;
- the Rods&Cones Instance and the Software Development Tools shall function substantially in accordance with the User Guide, it is understood that small deviations from the User Guide will not constitute a breach of this warranty. The Customer recognizes, however, that all software may from time to time contain errors; and
- it shall use reasonable efforts to maximize the availability of the Rods&Cones Instance. The Customer recognizes, however, that this availability is subject to a variety of interdependent factors (such as the availability of telecommunication links, the interaction between the software of various parties, network congestion on the Internet, etc.), which are substantially out of the control of Rods&Cones bv.
5.2 If the Rods&Cones Instance or the Software Development Tools do not perform as warranted, Rods&Cones bv shall undertake to correct the Errors. However, Rods&Cones bv does not warrant that the Rods&Cones Instance or the Software Development Tools will be error-free or will perform in an uninterrupted manner. Rods&Cones bv cannot guarantee that the Services or the Software Development Tools will meet the Customer’s specific expectations, objectives, or requirements.
5.3 The Customer acknowledges that the access to and use of the Rods&Cones Instance may be suspended from time to time due to unanticipated or unscheduled downtime. To the extent possible, Rods&Cones bv shall schedule planned downtime outside Working Days.
5.4 Rods&Cones bv may suspend the (access to the) Rods&Cones Instance without the involvement of a judge and without liability if (i) the Rods&Cones Instance is being used in breach of the Agreement; (ii) there is an internal or outside attack on Rods&Cones bv’s IT systems; (iii) Rods&Cones bv is required by law to suspend the Service delivery; or (iv) there is another event for which Rods&Cones bv reasonably believes that the suspension of the Rods&Cones Instance is necessary to protect its IT systems or customers.
5.5 Rods&Cones bv will use commercially reasonable efforts to give the Customer advance notice of such suspension, unless it determines, in its reasonable commercial judgment, that a suspension on shorter or contemporaneous notice is necessary to protect Rods&Cones bv or its other customers from imminent and significant operational or security risk.
5.6 Rods&Cones bv’s warranties do not cover interventions not assignable to Rods&Cones bv such as, but not limited to:
- Errors resulting from erroneous, improper, non-authorized, or unsupported use of Rods&Cones or Software Development Tools;
- Errors resulting from a fault of the Customer, a Manager or a User;
- Errors resulting from the interfacing of Rods&Cones with other software from third parties, unless approved in writing by Rods&Cones bv.
5.7 Unless explicitly agreed otherwise in writing by the Parties, any deadlines and timeframes for delivery of Services (for example, initial or additional Configurations) shall be considered as indicative, and shall not bind Rods&Cones bv, and shall not be of the essence.
5.8 Without the approval of the Customer and provided that similar functionality is kept or improved functionality is guaranteed, Rods&Cones bv shall have the right at any moment to (i) activate a new or improved version of the Rods&Cones Instance or the Software Development Tools; (ii) add additional functionality to the Rods&Cones Instance or the Software Development Tools; (iii) to modify internal or external functioning of the Rods&Cones Instance or the Software Development Tools, provided similar functionality is kept; or (iv) move its servers or networks to other locations or data centers, within the European Union. Rods&Cones bv shall undertake best efforts to ensure when performing such actions, that the impact on the use for Customer and its Users is limited.
5.9 This clause 6 constitutes Rods&Cones bv’s only warranty concerning the Services and is made expressly in lieu of all other warranties. Except as otherwise provided in this clause and to the fullest extent permissible under applicable law, Rods&Cones bv makes no warranties, express or implied, regarding any matter, including fitness for a particular purpose, merchantability, and/or non-infringement.
5.11 Customer will inspect and test goods upon reception for visible errors or missing components. 5 working days after delivery, the goods are deemed to be accepted as complete and in working condition.
6.1 The Customer shall pay to Rods&Cones bv the fees indicated in the Cover Document. All payment obligations are non-cancelable and fees paid are non-refundable.
6.2 The Additional Services shall be charged at the Standard Rates. The Standard Rates shall be subject to change from time to time by reference to the increased cost of production, commercialization, promotion, etc. Rods&Cones bv will provide the Customer with sixty (60) days’ written notice prior to the effective date of the new Standard Rates.
6.3 The License Fees can be changed by Rods&Cones bv at any time, subject to Rods&Cones bv communicating the change to the Customer at the latest three (3) months before the change would become effective. If the Customer does not agree with the proposed change, the Customer can terminate this Agreement for convenience, by sending a registered letter at the latest two (2) months before the change would become effective. In the absence of such termination by the Customer, the adapted rates will be deemed accepted by the Customer. The Parties agree that the License Fees that are already paid in advance by the Customer, will not be impacted by the increase as set forth in this clause 6.3.
6.4 Without prejudice to clause 6.3, the License Fees shall be automatically increased by the inflation rate at each renewal of the Agreement pursuant to clause 6.2, unless otherwise agreed in the Cover Document.
6.5 Subject to the Customer’s consent, any other expenses incurred by Rods&Cones bv (such as travel expenses, out-of-pocket expenses, shipment costs, etc.) shall be invoiced to and paid separately by the Customer. Rods&Cones bv shall provide the Customer with proof of such expenses.
6.6 Except as otherwise provided, all fees are quoted and payable in EUR and do not include any sales, use excise, import or export, value-added or similar tax (collectively “Taxes”). Customer and/or User is responsible for paying all Taxes associated with its purchases hereunder, excluding taxes based on Rods&Cones bv’s net income or property. If Rods&Cones bv has the legal obligation to pay or collect taxes for which Customer and/or User is responsible under this section, the appropriate amount shall be invoiced to and paid by Customer and/or User, unless Customer and/or User provide Rods&Cones bv with a valid tax exemption certificate authorized by the appropriate taxing authority.
6.7 Unless otherwise agreed in the Cover Document, all invoices are payable within thirty (30) days, calculated as from the invoice date. In case of late payment, monthly interest of 1% will be charged automatically and without prior notice.
6.8 In the event of any failure of the Customer to timely make the payments indicated above, then Rods&Cones bv:
- can demand that all outstanding invoices become due at once;
- can suspend the provision of any Service and/or the Rods&Cones License, until all outstanding invoices have been paid;
without in any way affecting its other rights hereunder.
6.9 Complaints concerning invoices must be submitted within eight (8) days upon receipt of the invoice. After this eight-day period, the invoice will be deemed accepted.
- Term and termination
7.1 Unless otherwise indicated in the Cover Document, this Agreement comes into force on the Effective Date, with an initial period of twelve (12) months.
7.2 Unless otherwise indicated in the Cover Document, this Agreement shall be tacitly renewed with subsequent periods that shall be equal to the duration of the initial period set forth in clause 8.1, except if one of the Parties terminates this Agreement by registered letter with a notice period of three (3) months before the expiry of the then-current period.
7.3 Each Party can terminate this Agreement with immediate effect without the intervention of a judge by written notice to the other party if the other Party commits a material breach of this Agreement and — in the case of a breach capable of remedy — fails to substantially remedy it within forty (40) calendar days of receipt of a written notice from the Party not in default specifying the breach and containing a warning of an intention to terminate if the breach is not remedied within the forty (40) calendar days grace period.
7.4 Each Party may terminate this Agreement without the intervention of a judge with immediate effect on written notice:
- if a receiver, administrator, or similar officer is appointed over all or any part of the assets or undertaking of the other Party;
- if the other Party makes any arrangement for the benefit of its creditors; or
- if the other Party goes into liquidation save for the purposes of a genuine amalgamation or reconstruction.
7.5 Notwithstanding the foregoing and without prejudice to Rods&Cones bv’s other rights assigned to it by law or by this Agreement, Rods&Cones bv shall have the right to suspend and/or terminate this Agreement, in whole or in part, immediately without the intervention of a judge, upon written notice to the Customer in the event that the Customer:
- exceeds the scope of the Rods&Cones License grants and, if applicable, the license to the Software Development Tools, as set forth in clause 2;
- does not comply with the provisions set forth in clause 4;
- breaches any of its obligations of confidentiality set forth in clause 9; or
- breaches the assignment provisions laid down in clause 13.4.
7.6 Upon suspension of this Agreement in accordance with clause 8.5, the Customer’s access and license rights (including any sublicenses) with respect to Rods&Cones or the Software Development Tools shall be temporarily terminated, during the period of the suspension; and (ii) the fees will continue to accrue.
7.7 After termination of this Agreement:
- all rights granted by Rods&Cones bv hereunder shall be terminated;
- each Party shall return or destroy (or provide a certificate of having destroyed) the other Party’s Confidential Information;
- the Customer shall remove all copies of all software provided or owned by Rods&Cones bv from the Customer’s systems;
- Rods&Cones bv shall, upon request by Customer made within thirty (30) days after the effective date of termination, provide the Customer with limited access to the Rods&Cones Instance, for the sole purpose of enabling the Customer to make a copy of the Hosted Data. After such thirty (30) days period, Rods&Cones bv shall have no obligation to maintain or provide any Hosted Data.
7.8 Termination shall not relieve the Customer of the obligation to pay any fees accrued or payable to Rods&Cones bv prior to the effective date of termination.
8.1 “Confidential Information” means all confidential information of a Party (“Disclosing Party“) disclosed to the other Party (“Receiving Party“) in writing, that is designated as confidential or that reasonably should be understood to be confidential given the nature of the information and the circumstances of disclosure. Confidential Information shall include the terms and conditions in the Cover Document of this Agreement, business and marketing plans, technology and technical information, product designs, and business processes. Confidential Information shall not include: (i) information that is or becomes, generally known to the public without breach of any obligation owed to the Disclosing Party; (ii) information known to the Receiving Party prior to its disclosure by the Disclosing Party without breach of any obligation owed to the Disclosing Party; (iii) information developed
independently by the Receiving Party without breach of any obligation owed to the Disclosing Party; and (iv) information received from a third party without breach of any obligation owed to the Disclosing Party.
8.2 The Receiving Party shall not disclose or use any Confidential Information of the Disclosing Party for any purpose outside the scope of this Agreement, except with the Disclosing Party’s prior written permission.
8.3 Each Party agrees to protect the confidentiality of the Confidential Information of the other Party in the same manner that it protects the confidentiality of its own confidential information of like kind (but in no event using less than reasonable care).
8.4 If the Receiving Party is compelled by law to disclose Confidential Information of the Disclosing Party, it shall provide the Disclosing Party with prior notice of such compelled disclosure (to the extent legally permitted) and reasonable assistance, at Disclosing Party’s cost, if the Disclosing Party wishes to contest the disclosure.
- Protection of Hosted Data
9.1 Rods&Cones bv undertakes reasonable industry standard efforts to maintain appropriate administrative, physical, and technical safeguards to protect the Hosted Data against accidental or unlawful destruction, accidental loss, alteration, unauthorized disclosure, and unauthorized access.
9.2 The Customer acknowledges that Rods&Cones bv’s responsibility set out in clause 10.1 does not extend to any of the Customer’s data that is hosted outside the Rods&Cones Instance. Accordingly, the Customer shall bear sole responsibility for the adequate security, protection, and backup of any such data.
9.3 The Customer accepts that (i) Rods&Cones bv qualifies as a “hosting provider”, as defined by article 14 of the EU E-commerce Directive (2000/31/EC) and “data processor” ; (ii) Rods&Cones bv does not have the obligation to monitor the Hosted Data; (iii) Rods&Cones bv has the right to remove at any moment and without prior warning any Hosting Data which, in Rods&Cones bv’s reasonable opinion, is illegal or infringes (or is likely to infringe) upon the rights of third parties; (iv) Rods&Cones bv has the right to remove at any moment and without prior warning any Hosting Data at the request of competent authorities.
- Data protection
10.1 The Customer shall be “data controller” and Rods&Cones bv shall be the “data processor” (as defined in Data Protection Legislation) in relation to the processing of any “personal data” contained in the Hosted Data. Accordingly, Rods&Cones bv shall only process such personal data (i) in accordance with the instructions received from the Customer, which may be specific instructions or instructions of a general nature as set forth in this Agreement: (ii) to the extent, and in such manner, as is necessary for the provision of the Services, or as is required by law or any regulatory body.
10.2 Each Party shall comply with its respective obligations under Data Protection Legislation, and shall not undertake any action that would cause the other Party to breach any of the Data Protection Legislation obligations. In particular, the Customer shall ensure that: (i) all instructions are given by it to Rods&Cones bv in respect of the Hosted Data will be in compliance with applicable Data Protection Legislation; (ii) it has obtained all rights and permissions to process the Hosted Data outside the European Union and (iii) it has all required consents, licenses and approvals to use, disclose and/or transfer the personal data included in the Hosted Data and/or the personal data available in the Manager app.
- Risk allocation
11.1 The parties total aggregate liability under this Agreement, whether for breach of contractual obligations, in negligence or tort, shall never exceed the payments received on annual basis from the Customer with a limit of 50,000 (fifty thousand) EUR. Rods&Cones bv shall in no event be liable for any indirect, punitive, or consequential damages of any kind (such as, without limitation, loss of profits, loss of use, loss of customers, business interruption, loss of data, cost of cover, etc.), regardless of the form of action whether in contract, third party claims, extra-contractual liability or otherwise, even if it has been advised of the possibilities of such damage.
11.2 Nothing in this Agreement shall exclude or limit either Party’s liability for fraud or willful misconduct.
11.3 The Customer agrees that Rods&Cones bv shall not be responsible or liable for the actions or omissions of the VAS Partner or any other third party who provides services with respect to Rods&Cones (for example, Front-End Support or Service Support). Rods&Cones bv does not exercise control over such a third party and is not a party to the contract between the Customer and such third party.
12.1 Force Majeure – Neither Party shall be liable to the other for any delay in, or failure of, the performance of its obligations under this Agreement arising from Force Majeure. The Party affected by Force Majeure shall as soon as practicable, send to the other a written notice setting out the circumstances of the event and its anticipated effect and shall use all reasonable endeavors to minimize the effect of any such circumstances. If any delay or stoppage arising out of an event of Force Majeure continues for a continuous period of six (6) months, either Party may terminate this Agreement with immediate effect on giving written notice to the other, and neither Party shall be liable to the other for such termination.
12.2 Waiver – A failure or delay of any Party to enforce at any time any of the provisions hereof, or the failure to exercise any right which is provided therein or to require at any time performance of any of the provisions thereto, shall in no way be construed to be a waiver of such provisions of this Agreement by such Party in the event of a continuation or repetition of the circumstances which gave rise to such right.
12.3 Enforceability – Should any clause of this Agreement be found to be invalid or unenforceable, such clause (or part thereof) shall be deemed severed from this Agreement, and the other clauses thereof shall remain in full force and effect as if this Agreement had been executed without the offending clause appearing. In such a case, the Parties shall negotiate in good faith and on a commercially all reasonable efforts basis to agree on alternative or amended valid, legal, and enforceable clauses with the same economic effect as intended by the parties hereto.
12.4 Assignment – This Agreement is personal to the Customer and neither this Agreement nor any of the Customer’s rights or obligations hereunder shall be assigned, sublicensed, sold, or otherwise transferred by the Customer without the prior written consent of Rods&Cones nv. Rods&Cones bv reserves the right to assign all or part of this Agreement at any time to any Affiliate that can sufficiently execute the obligations under this Agreement, subject to providing the Customer written notice of such assignment.
12.5 Relationship of the Parties – The Parties are independent contractors. This Agreement does not create a partnership, franchise, joint venture, agency, fiduciary, or employment relationship.
12.6 References and logo – During the Term and a period of five (5) years after the Term, Rods&Cones bv may use the Customer’s name and logo on its website and in press releases, brochures, financial reports, and other promotional materials in any media indicating that Customer is or was a customer of Rods&Cones nv. During the Term, the Customer accepts to display the “Powered by Rods&Cones” logo on the Rods&Cones Instance.
12.7 Log files – The Customer accepts the server log files of the Rods&Cones Instance as legal proof of all transactions, visits, and access requests with respect to the Rods&Cones Instance.
12.8 Notices – All notices under this Agreement shall be in writing, and shall be deemed to have been given upon: (i) personal delivery; (ii) the third day after mailing; or (iii) the third day after sending by email confirmed by a letter. Notices to Rods&Cones bv shall be addressed to the attention of its CEO. Notices to Customer shall be addressed to Customer’s signatory of this Agreement.
12.9 Survival – The clauses of this Agreement that by their nature may reasonably be presumed to survive any termination or expiration of this Agreement (in particular, without limitation, clauses 4.12, 6.9, 9, and 12), shall survive any termination or expiration hereof.
12.10 Governing law and jurisdiction– This Agreement and all respective rights and obligations of the Parties shall be governed by and shall be construed in accordance with the laws of Belgium (excluding its conflicts of laws rules). Should any dispute arise between the Parties out of or in connection with this Agreement, the Parties will endeavor to resolve the dispute in good faith by senior level negotiations. If the dispute is not resolved within thirty (30) days through such negotiations, each Party shall have the right to submit the unresolved issue to the Turnhout courts, which shall have exclusive jurisdiction to settle any such dispute, controversy, or claim which may arise in connection with this Agreement.